Want the executive summary? Download the infographic here.
To access our Event Lead Management Kit, which includes this resource, click here.
Looking for creative strategies to use at your next trade show or marketing event? Look no further! We’ve gathered lots of ideas that can help you before, during, and after an event.
Before an Event
“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” – Abraham Lincoln
Planning for an event is the most important part of your process. If you don’t get the right tools in place, you’re bound to make mistakes.
- Do your research and see what your biggest competitors’ booths look like. Track competitors in your CRM so that you know if any competitors stopped by your booth.
- Invest in a great display, so that prospects will want to invest in you. If your display looks pathetic, so will your company.
- Send 1:1 emails and offline marketing pieces, such as direct mail, ahead of time offering people a chance to schedule a meeting at your booth.
- Send a marketing email (or a series of emails) announcing your presence at the event and what you’ll be showcasing. Offer educational content in these emails to establish yourself as a thought leader at the event.
- Send a reminder email (or text, if possible) to stop by your booth.
- Engage with conference attendees prior to the event – ask for attendees to vote on what swag they’d like best. This is a great excuse to reach out to attendees and an easy way to get them to engage. Lists of registered attendees can usually be found by contacting the event manager.
- Speaking of swag, reconsider your definition of swag. A few ideas are: headphones, socks, or a free t-shirt with a offer for a free beer if they are seen wearing it to networking parties after the convention.
- Post to all of your social media accounts. Choose a different image or message for each platform to keep readers’ attentions and reduce redundancy.
- Consider how you’re going to capture leads at the event (badge scan, business card transcription, upload registrants, manual form fill, etc.). Some event lead management solutions offer all of these!
- Do all of these things in your marketing automation platform to track key engagement prior to the event. Find one that does it all.
- Extra Tip: Ensure consistent lead follow up by setting up an automated process to segment, tag, distribute, and follow up with those leads. Create a nurture campaign in your marketing automation platform to distribute leads, assign tasks call tasks, follow up with educational content, and more. (LL)
During an Event
You already believe in your product or solution. Now, it’s time to show off! Make sure you’re the star of the show.
- Keep your display clutter-free. Don’t distract visitors. Clean lines and a simple, sleek design allows your message (and the experience) to play center role.
- Don’t list features on your banners. Keep your message simple. Answer “How will your product make their lives easier? What makes you better than your competitor? What problem does your product solve?”
- Host a wireless charging station at your booth with a fun activity, or snack, for people waiting.
- Place devices in front of your booth and run them as a kiosk for leads to self-service (watch videos, submit an inquiry to learn more).
- Use an event lead capture app, such as Lead Liaison’s GoCapture!™, for all representatives to use in place of outdated badge scanners. (LL)
After an Event
Evaluate & measure ROI. This is key to growth and future success.
- Evaluate your process. What worked? What didn’t? Did your team run into any issues? Did your technology support your properly?
- Measure ROI of your event using Cost Per Prospect (CPP), Revenue Generated, and overall ROI metrics. Some event lead management solutions offer an Events Dashboard to compile and report these key metrics, which makes things really easy.
Hopefully you picked up some great tips today. We’ve included this infographic below for you to download and/or share with your colleagues. And, if you’re interested in our home-grown event lead management solution, request a free demo here.